The Letter of Marque (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #12) (Paperback)
Email or call for price.
Email or call for price.
Other Books in Series
This is book number 12 in the Aubrey/Maturin Novels series.
- #1: Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #1) (Paperback): $15.95
- #2: Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #2) (Paperback): $15.95
- #3: H. M. S. Surprise (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #3) (Paperback): $15.95
- #4: The Mauritius Command (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #4) (Paperback): $15.95
- #5: Desolation Island (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #5) (Paperback): $15.95
- #6: The Fortune of War (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #6) (Paperback): $15.95
- #7: The Surgeon's Mate (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #7) (Paperback): $15.95
- #8: The Ionian Mission (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #8) (Paperback): $15.95
- #9: Treason's Harbour (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #9) (Paperback): $15.95
- #10: The Far Side of the World (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #10) (Hardcover): $24.00
- #11: The Reverse of the Medal (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #11) (Hardcover): $24.00
- #13: The Thirteen Gun Salute (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #13) (Paperback): $15.95
- #14: The Nutmeg of Consolation (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #14) (Paperback): $15.95
- #15: The Truelove (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #15) (Paperback): $15.95
- #16: The Wine-Dark Sea (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #16) (Paperback): $15.95
- #17: The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #17) (Paperback): $15.95
- #18: The Yellow Admiral (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #18) (Paperback): $15.95
- #19: The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #19) (Paperback): $15.95
- #20: Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #20) (Paperback): $15.95
- #21: 21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (Aubrey/Maturin Novels #21) (Paperback): $18.95
"Fine stuff...[The Letter of Marque] leaves the devotee of naval fiction eager for sequels." —Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post Book World
Captain Jack Aubrey, a brilliant and experienced officer, has been struck off the list of post-captains for a crime he did not commit. His old friend Stephen Maturin, usually cast as a ship’s surgeon to mask his discreet activities on behalf of British Intelligence, has bought for Aubrey his former ship the Surprise to command as a privateer, more politely termed a letter of marque. Together they sail on a desperate mission against the French, which, if successful, may redeem Aubrey from the private hell of his disgrace. A nighttime battle with an unusual climax, a jewel of great value, and Maturin’s fondness for opium make this segment of Patrick O’Brian’s masterful series both original and profoundly exciting.
About the Author
One of our greatest contemporary novelists, Patrick O’Brian is the author of the twenty volumes of the best-selling Aubrey/Maturin series, as well as many other books, including Testimonies, The Golden Ocean, The Unknown Shore, and biographies of Joseph Banks and Picasso.
Both serious and light-hearted, true and sentimental, as comic opera can be.
— Peter Campbell - London Review of Books
There are two types of people in the world: Patrick O’Brian fans, and people who haven’t read him yet.
— Lucy Eyre - Guardian
O’Brian’s books are as atypical of conventional sea stories as Conrad’s. Like John le Carré, he has erased the boundary separating a debased genre from ‘serious’ fiction. O’Brian is a novelist, pure and simple, one of the best we have.
— Mark Horowitz - Los Angeles Times Book Review