A New York Times Bestselling Book An Amazon Best Book of the Year A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year Parents Magazine Best Early Reader of the Year
"A marvel." --The New York Times "Inventive... fabulously expressive..." --San Francisco Chronicle
Who is Baby Monkey?
He is a baby.
He is a monkey.
He has a job.
He is Baby Monkey, Private Eye!
Baby Monkey can help...
if he can put on his pants!
Baby Monkey's adventures come to life in an exciting blend of picture book, beginning reader, and graphic novel. With pithy text and over 120 black and white drawings accented with red, it is ideal for sharing aloud and for emerging readers.
Hooray for Baby Monkey!
About the Author
Brian Selznick's books have garnered countless accolades worldwide, and have been translated into more than 35 languages. He is the Caldecott Medal-winning creator of the #1 New York Times bestsellers The Invention of Hugo Cabret, adapted into Martin Scorsese's Oscar-winning movie Hugo; and Wonderstruck, adapted into the eponymous movie by celebrated filmmaker Todd Haynes, with a screenplay by Selznick; as well as the New York Times bestsellers The Marvels and Baby Monkey, Private Eye. Most recently, he illustrated the 20th anniversary paperback edition covers of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.
David Serlin is a writer, editor, and historian who teaches at the University of California, San Diego. He is the author or editor of numerous books and articles for adults, as well as the co-author of the highly acclaimed Baby Monkey, Private Eye.
Brian and David divide their time between Brooklyn, New York and San Diego, California.
Distinctions and Praise for Baby Monkey, Private Eye:
A New York Times Bestselling Book An Amazon Best Book of the Year A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year Parents Magazine Best Early Reader of the Year A BookPage Best Book of the Year A News & Observer Best Book of the Year
"A marvel." --The New York Times
"Inventive... fabulously expressive..." --San Francisco Chronicle
"...exceedingly cute..." --The Wall Street Journal
"Silly, endearing, and adventurous..." --The Washington Post
"Another boundary-buster." --San Diego Union Tribute
* "Selznick and Serlin take the easy reader format to new creative heights....The sharp pacing and charming humor also make it an excellent read-aloud choice....as funny as it is elegant. This will be enjoyed equally by youngsters and their grown-ups." --School Library Journal, starred review
* "Kids will forget they are learning to read, focusing instead on the comic bits, persistence, and vulnerability of an endearing hero." --Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "New readers will delight in the details... and the spot-on slapstick pacing of the putting-on-pants sequences will have viewers giggling for days." --The Horn Book, starred review
* "Repetition of words brings this within reach of timid readers, while the absurdity expands the appeal... It's the detailed full spreads, however, that stop the show and cinematically change the pace, especially the ones set in Baby Monkey's atmospheric office... The book is therefore a delight for reading together or alone, and the weight of the volume will provide considerable satisfaction to novice readers..." --Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review
"A good choice for all libraries and classrooms as a confidence booster for beginning readers." --School Library Connection, recommended
Awards and Praise for The Invention of Hugo Cabret:
2008 Caldecott Medal winner National Book Award Finalist #1 New York Times Bestseller New York Times Best Illustrated Book Los Angeles Times Favorite Children's Book of the Year TIME Magazine's 100 Best Children's and Young Adult Books of All Time
"Evokes wonder . . . like a silent film on paper." -- The New York Times
"A fast-paced treat." -- People Magazine
"Distinctive." -- The Wall Street Journal
"Cinematic." -- Parenting Magazine
"Captivating." -- Los Angeles Times Book Review
"If your kid loves the J.K. Rowling series, then [they are] bound to enjoy The Invention of Hugo Cabret. . ." -- Good Housekeeping
* "A true masterpiece."-- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Fade to black and cue the applause!" -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Complete genius." -- The Horn Book, starred review
* "Innovative . . . has the makings of a classic." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "A thing of wonder to behold . . . an emotional experience that neither the words nor the illustrations could achieve on their own." -- School Library Journal,starred review
Praise for The Marvels:
New York Times Bestseller New York Times Notable Children's Book An Indie Bound #1 National Bestseller Guardian Children's Book Prize Finalist Publishers Weekly Best Book
* "Selznick continues his quest to shake up notions of illustrated novels, wordless storytelling, and the intersection of text and pictures in this newest volume . . . The novel as a whole is exactly the sort of theater that is so lovingly described within." -- The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review
* "Caldecott Medalist Selznick has been creating acclaimed illustrated novels for years now, and his latest takes his groundbreaking narrative format to new heights . . . [this] warm, affecting family tale is bittersweet, astonishing, and truly marvelous." -- Booklist, starred review
* ". . . epic theater celebrating mysteries of the heart and spirit." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "[A] powerful story about creating lasting art and finding family in unexpected places." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Memorable, momentous." -- School Library Journal, starred review
You are here
Baby Monkey, Private Eye (Hardcover)